Friday, June 24, 2011

THE "THANKLESS TASK" OF TEACHING

Visiting with Julius Erving yesterday made an impression on me.  So much that I took some time out last night to jump on Google and learn a little bit more about him.  And then I came across this quote.  It hit me like a thunderbolt because it speaks to something that is so important to me.  Here is what Dr. J had to say about teachers:
"Teachers are sort of faced with a thankless task,
 because no matter how good they are, unless
they find a way to personally rationalize the rewards of their effort,
 nobody else is really going to do it for them en mass."

Many of you know about my love for my grandmother who was a teacher and made education a priority in our home.  Both she and many other teachers made such an impact in my life that I have started a scholarship fund in my grandmother's name for students studying education.